Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Say Hello to The Muscovy Duck


Recently, some Muscovy ducks have claimed residence in our back yard. My husband detests them; I'm kind of ambivalent. I generally love most wildlife and the ducks don't really bother me. Little One and I even fed them yesterday because they wandered onto our patio and were helping themselves to my plants (which is something which I am NOT agreeable to). When I first moved to Florida I found these ducks to be quite frightening in appearance. My home state boasts those cute little mallards that were featured in the book "Make Way for Ducklings" and the Muscovies looked to me like something resulting from a nuclear power plant accident. They are not native to Florida but are somewhat protected by anti animal cruelty laws, which means that no one can legally harm them but, if they are so inclined, may capture them and keep them as pets. This particular duck was sleeping on my patio this morning beneath our cat palm. I woke him up taking these pictures and was rewarded by a flip of his tail and a splotch of poop on the stones. This is the aggravating thing about having such ducks around; they poop everywhere, which seems to me to be not the least bit healthy for us. After the duck left I found myself out back hosing the stones off (not so bad since having to do so reminded me to water my plants...). One thing I know for sure is that Muscovies have no cooth.

No comments: