Monday, September 24, 2007

And Now for My Next Trick...

let me pull a map of the Dominican Republic out of my ass. This is the newest surprise in my life-the possibility that my husband will be going out of town to do a job here. I keep telling him I will follow him anywhere as long as it's Colorado or California!! At any rate, we're not invited on this trip; he was only looking into getting a passport for himself, which causes me much anxiety and inner conflict. He seems to have so much work here in Florida right now, but I suppose he's thinking about the possibility that any day now the construction industry could dry up. I'm not happy about it; after he told me about the trip I felt sick to my stomach. I never would've made a good military wife. Then again, I always swore I would never marry someone in the military because I know that I do not have the personality to worry constantly about my husband being in situations where he could get blown up or worse. I very much admire those women able to deal with this sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. Call it a personality defect, if you want, but I just call it knowing one's own limitations. We have a three year old child who can't stand to be separated from her father for a few hours, let alone several days (weeks? who knows?). I suppose I'm projecting all sorts of negative possibility. Already I'm thinking that if he takes this one job, then the next time an out of town gig comes up it will be that much easier for him to say yes to it, and pretty soon he'll be away all the time. Of course, we're not even at that point, and we may never be, but my mind is just running away, imagining weeks of taking care of a little one alone while my husband is on the road. Oh, and what about those beautiful Dominican women? It's too much to contemplate. On another note, a good friend of ours just came back from California and wants to move out there. He was flying back from a trip to Alaska (he owns a small aircraft) and made a few stops, among them California and Nevada, and said that when he returned to Florida after feasting his eyes on the sheer majesty of the mountains and the beauty of the forests out west well-he said he felt like he'd been plopped back down into a mucky swamp. Yup. Pretty accurate. There is good and bad everywhere. Preference of habitat comes down to what a person likes and dislikes. I love the mountains, the ocean, and old wooded areas. We boast two out of three of those things here, but the mindset here is so different from the west coast. Alas, Florida is where we're stuck, at least for now. I have lots of friends here who I would miss if we went away, but so many of them seem to be leaving lately that I sometimes wonder if we won't wake up one day to find ourselves alone here anyway!!!

1 comment:

Keyser Soze said...

Your ears must be burning since I was talking about you last night.
Don't worry kid. It's all in the lord's arms if you see what I mean.