Monday, December 11, 2006

A Week of 12 (Stepping)


A good friend has been sleeping on our couch for the past week or so, trying to get back on his feet. It's been a good week, since he's been gone for awhile, out ripping and running, and it's good to see him back around, trying to stay on the right path. Who knows how things will go; it's all one day at a time, for sure, but I hope he can keep the clean gig going. It hurts to have lost so many to the disease of addiction and I pray not to lose another. I've known him for a long, long time and wish happiness and peace for him. He's going to a sober house tomorrow and I hope they allow him to stay; he's already tried one but they wouldn't take him because he has a job towing and usually towing jobs require some night hours. In the end, it's going to be about what he's willing to do to stay clean and sober. When his girl gets out of jail in four weeks I hope that she too will want to stay clean and sober. Right now she's all about recovery, but time will tell if that's what is really in her heart or if it's just jailhouse talk. At any rate, I feel very grateful for all of the blessings currently lending their sparkle to my own life. Hanukkah is approaching and we're getting ready for that, as well as Christmas (for my husband). I'm grateful to have a little family to share the holidays with and to have been able to buy some nice gifts for Little R, and to have been able to join in the Toys for Tots run on Sunday to give to some other little girl/boy who might not have so much. Plus, getting on the bike again after so much time away from it (good babysitters are difficult to come by-I don't trust too many people with my daughter) was a blast!

2 comments:

AndyT13 said...

Oh my Lord! That's bizarre. Good for you that you're letting an addict stay with you, even a friend. That's a tall order withg a kid in the house. I don't think I could do it. My bad. And his girlfriend is in jail? Oh man, that's just SO not a good situation. It's very rare for a pair of addicts to get sober together. Two sickies do not make a wellie. Eh, what do I know? I have 60 days today. Gads, has it come to that? My life ending one day at a time and me gratefully counting each one that I'm not all fucked up? Christ, what a drag. Anyway, I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Chanukkah my dear. I hope your friend and his mate get better. Much love, peace and light.

Stealth said...

I hope your friend recovers and you you all have a peaceful Christmas and Hanukka.

You are pretty damn interesting.