Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Matter of Heritage?


I was born Catholic; Irish Catholic, to be exact. Most of my family is Irish; in the final analysis I'm about 3/4 Irish and I identify very strongly with all things Celtic and Irish. My grandparents believed in the holiness of the Pope (as do I) and the issue of an Ireland free of British rule always loomed large in our home. I was raised believing that the IRA (Irish Republican Army) are soldiers in a war that has been going on for far, far too long. In my heart I hold very strong opinions about how the Irish were treated by the English and it is my sincere belief that the English will never be able to make up for the evils they have done to the country of my ancestry. All of this said, my father's side of the family is Jewish (although his mother was an Irish Catholic who converted when she married my Papa), so as kids my brothers and I weren't raised specifically with any religion. We got bits and peices from both sides and weren't expected to have any great committment to either (at least, from our parents). I've lived my whole life wondering what I believe, reading books on religion, calling my Higher Power by different names, even praying for some sign from God about what He/She wants me to call Him/Her. For a long time now I've held a Jewish stance on the issue because I felt like I related most to Jewish ideas. Lately, however, I've really been gravitating more toward my Irish heritage, and that's lead me along quite a different path. Even in practicing Judaism my prayers have taken a Celtic bent; I've always been drawn to Irish traditions, cooking and even the Catholic concept of honoring Mary. For some reason, I've always been drawn to Mary. Sometimes the only thing I know is that I am (besides being American, of course!) Irish, that the blood of my lineage runs strong through my veins and that it's important to me. Ireland calls to me like a lost lover. I once read that it's impossible to truly know ones self until one has traveled to the place from which our roots came. Maybe right now I'm just trying to make that journey with as true a heart as possible.

No comments: