Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gumbo Limbo Nature Center Trip

We were out the door early this morning for our homeschool group's trip to Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton. The trip turned out to be a blast; the woman who did the tour was patient, thorough, and very cool, there was lots to see, and the weather was good for the occasion (slightly overcast, breezy, warm but not hot). After a walk through the hammock during which we were treated to all sorts of trees, insects, spiders, cool breezes, and a view from the wooden observatory out toward the ocean (which is across the street from the park), we stopped by the park's three separate tanks. In the tanks we saw turtles, sharks, sea urchins, starfish, and various fish, such as barracuda and pufferfish. The kids had fun looking over the side of the tank; at one point the baby turtle above swam over and poked her head out of the water as if asking to be fed. The park is very involved in helping to rebuild and protect the sea turtle population.

I took several pictures, some of which turned out better than this one, but my computer was having issues while I was attempting to upload them and so the battery on the camera died before I was able to accomplish even half of this task. I will need to do this later-so disappointing as I was hoping to view the pictures after I arrived home. We are an immediate gratification oriented society these days; sometimes I fall prey to this affliction as well! Who am I kidding? I fall prey to it every day. I think that sometimes I hear G-d laughing. In fact, I heard Him just a few minutes ago when I was trying to copy the pictures onto my computer.... Of course, I don't mean this in a literal sense. That would mean that I'm even crazier than I think I am.

Anyway.... after the tour we all had lunch together at a nearby playground. This was probably the biggest playground I have ever been to. The kids had fun running around inside this mazelike wooden structure; there are all sorts of clever gadgets and bright pictures at various points, and a sand play area nearby.

Now I'm tired and looking forward to an easy dinner, giving my little one a bath, and lying down in bed with a book. Happy Tuesday night, everyone!

No comments: